52 Skidoo specialise in performing at Vintage, Cabaret, Burlesque and Prohibition nights as well as Swing Dance, Lindy Hop and Balboa events. They perform in theatres, music venues, jazz clubs and festivals throughout the UK as well as private bookings and house concerts. Have a glance through the following options:
– the classic three piece line up of Tommy Valentine on vocals and guitar, Howard ‘Dancing Bear’ Jacobs on percussion and clarinet with Henry ‘JJ’ Botham on stride piano.
– add any or all from trumpet, trombone, sax and souzaphone to ‘brass up’ the Skidoo sound.
- 52 Skidoo play whilst the very talented Bombshells display jaw dropping aerial burlesque.
– Harlem Rent Party themed theatre show incorporating stories, characters and comedy as well as some of the finest hot jazz this side of the Hudson.
– piano and percussion performing pure authentic Harlem Stride and Piano Shouts from greats such as Fats Waller, James P. Johnson, Luckey Roberts, Willie ‘The Lion’ Smith and Eubie Blake.
– you get the idea, ‘JJ’ tickling the keys all on his own.
"I'd like to say a big thank you on behalf of my guests at the Swingaroo Vintage Dancehall for your fantastic set in February. You kept the dance floor bustling all night and feet tapping at the tables too.
You are not only very talented musicians, but also polite, professional and courteous. Genuinely, a pleasure to book and we'd love to have you back again in the future."
- Lorraine Jenkins, Swingaroo Vintage Dancehall
"Here's a band that really do swing like they did in the good ol' days - with attention to detail and authenticity, 52 Skidoo put on a storming performance that gets the joint well and truly jumping. Until we manage to bring Fats Waller back in a time machine, we'd have these guys back any time!"
- Bobbi Charleston, The Swung Eight
“We only had to see, hear and experience 52 Skidoo once to be convinced enough to book them. The gig they came and did for us at SevenArts, Leeds was a sell out event and is still talked about locally as one of the most authentic ‘Speakeasy’ style dances we’ve had. The guys completely recreated the small band with the big sound in the Fat’s Waller tradition. Henry’s piano work is technically brilliant but manages to still come out totally cool. Tom’s guitar and vocals ooze personality and Howard is one of those very rare percussionists that you can dance to. They have that natural and unteachable ability to work the crowd.
With a new album on the way these guys are going to become increasingly popular and very busy – don’t miss out.”
- Harry & Svetlana, Balboanorth
“52 Skidoo provided The Met with a fine evening's entertainment consisting of live music, mayhem and mischief. Their show is much more than simply a gig and incorporates stories, comedy and several other unusual features all brought together with superb showmanship and musicianship. They transformed the stage into a 1920's rent party and created a genuine speakeasy atmosphere. Utterly professional and hugely enjoyable, the show was a sell out and I had no hesitation in rebooking them.”
- David Agnew, Bury Met
“52“The show was superb at The Cinnamon Club on several occasions in 2010/11. We stepped back in time and transformed the club into a dimly lit Speakeasy which was brought to life by 52 Skidoo and The Bombshells. Always authentic, 52 Skidoo are a three piece Harlem swing band that turn back the clock to play the dazzling repertoire of Fats Waller in the style for which it was written. The Bombshells are feathered felines with twirling tassels, they shimmy a saucy striptease, comical “can can” plus many more... A fun loving package smothered in pouts and poses.
They've been such a hit with our audiences that we've asked them back many times, it's always a sell out and never disappoints.”
- Neil Hughes, The Cinnamon Club
"Very good, all of our guests young and old enjoyed their performance"
"52 Skidoo were great fun, highly professional and a big hit with our guests. 10 out of 10!"
"52 Skidoo laid on a fantastic performance and exceeded our expectations, they were also extremely polite, friendly and easy-going which made them a pleasure to deal with on the day."
- Zoe Hussain - Wedding Event, London
“52 Skidoo were great on the night, very professional, fun and friendly and just what we were looking for. They also prepared some of the songs we'd requested, which was great.”
Magdalen Asquith - Birthday Party, Somerset
“They have mastered the essential ingredients of the music.”
- Jim Hession (world renowned stride pianist, USA)